Good information from a reliable source.

When to get a first and second mortgage at the same time

Obtaining a mortgage should be viewed like any other financial strategy you implement. You want to figure out what makes the most financial sense for your particular situation. 


In some purchase situations, you may find it makes more sense to get a first and second mortgage loan versus one large loan. Two examples of when this might make sense:


A first and second mortgage loan can be a great strategy when you want to borrower more than the conventional conforming loan limits offer. For instance, lets say you are buying a home in Tampa, FL for $850,000 and want to put 20% down. Your loan amount would be $680,000. This would be considered a Jumbo loan at the time of this writing. Jumbo loans are a great product but the requirements can be more stringent than with a conventional loan. In addition, there isn’t as much of a secondary market for Jumbo loans so you may face higher interest rates than with a conventional loan.  In this case, it may make sense to get a first mortgage for $647,200, the maximum conventional loan allowed in Hillsborough County, and a second mortgage for the remaining, $32,800.


Note: The maximum conventional loan amount is determined by the county the home is in and changes annually.


A first and second mortgage loan can be a great strategy to avoid mortgage insurance without putting 20% down. In this case, let’s say you are purchasing a home in Sarasota, FL for $550,000. You would like to put down around 10% and borrower 90%. However, lenders require mortgage insurance whenever you borrow more than 80% of the purchase price. (If they say they don’t, it means they built the cost of the mortgage insurance into the rate.)  To avoid paying mortgage insurance, you could obtain a conventional mortgage for 80% LTV (Loan-To-Value) and a second mortgage for 9.99%. Total amount borrowed 89.99%. Total amount out of your pocket for the down payment, 10.01%. Mission accomplished: 10% down and no Mortgage Insurance!


We’re experts to all things mortgage-related, and we’d love to share our knowledge with you! Reach out us and we’ll answer any questions you may have, big and small.

Couple laughing while reading computer atop a box

Every attempt has been made to ensure that the above information is valid at the time of publication. Subject to credit approval. NMLS #318098.

Let's Get Started

This is the exciting part—taking the initial step toward making your homeownership goals come true. When you’re ready to take the plunge, consider us as a part of your team, looking out for your best interests. Let’s find the best mortgage, uniquely tailored for you. Let’s do this!

Recent Posts

Firefighter sitting on steps with helmet next to them.
First-Time Homebuying

FL Hometown Heroes Program

The FL Hometown Heroes Program makes housing affordable for eligible front-line by providing down-payment and closing cost assistance to qualified first-time homebuyers.

Read More »
A caught fish with a hook in its mouth on a fishing line.
Things To Do

6 Things To Do In Okeechobee County, FL

Okeechobee County is a county located in the Florida Heartland region of the state of Florida. This is a great county for outdoor enthusiast. Here are some amazing outdoor adventures you can do while visiting.

Read More »
Skip to content